Friday, February 9, 2007

Blog for Wednesday Feb. 7, 2007

Things are beginning to get a little bit more clear as far as empathic listening is concerned. Last class we spent a lot of time discussing how we react around differect social groups and races that we are not necessarily used to. The general consensus was that when we are around groups of people that are different than us socially, ethnically, politically, religiously or financially we tend to do one of two things: stare at the person inappropriately or don't even look at them, pretending they aren't there. Both of which are not appropriate reactions.

I personally decided that I am this was far too much. I have trouble opening up and being myself around people different than me. I found this to be particularly true of the elcerly. I know I could benefit much by getting to know the aged around me but because I am unaccustomed to it kind of freeze up. It is hard to have a normal converstion and I know that they can sense this.

The only way around this is to just jump in and get experience. As the adage says, the more we do something the easier it becomes.

No comments: